Business professor creates ‘College for a Day’ program for local youth
11/11/2011 | Phil Ciciora, Business & Law Editor | 217-333-2177; email@example.com
[ Email | Share ] CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — A program established by a University of Illinois business professor looks to generate interest in higher education for underrepresented local high school students.
The College for a Day program not only aims to raise interest in seeking an advanced degree among local high school students, it also seeks to increase community involvement in higher education, says Hayden Noel, a professor of business administration.
The program, open to freshmen and sophomores who attend high school in Champaign or Urbana, begins Wednesday (Nov. 16), with seven students from Centennial High School in Champaign attending.
According to Noel, the students will attend a number of college exploration modules under the guidance of Quintin Scott, the College for a Day program coordinator and a U. of. I. graduate student. The modules will include a college class observation, a career services session, a financial aid session, an undergraduate admissions session and a campus tour. At the end of the day, students will receive a certificate and a gift for their participation.
The program administrators, along with the high school college and career counselor, will contact the program participants at a later date to gauge their interest in attending college.
In the spring semester, the program will run once per month, Noel says.
- 8 a.m. – Students meet with the program coordinator in the front entrance of the Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St., Urbana.
- 8:45 a.m. – Students follow their mentors for class observations.
- 10. a.m. – Students attend the career exploration session in the Student Services Building, 715 S. Wright St., Champaign.
- 11 a.m. – Students attend the financial aid session in the Student Services Building.
- Noon – Students eat lunch provided on behalf of the program.
- 1 p.m. – Students attend the admissions session in Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St., Urbana.
- 2 p.m. – Students tour the U. of I. campus.
Editor's note: For more information, contact Hayden Noel at 217-265-0649; email firstname.lastname@example.org.